Saturday 2 May 2020

Your To Do List vs Your To Be List

It is so tiring trying to keep up with responsibilities, and do it while looking like you have everything in control. We say we need to be more mindful of the things that matter like Family Life, and Self-Care, but do we really mean it? I won’t say I am a master at to do list’s but often when I am overwhelmed I need to write it all down because I can no longer remember all I need to do. It is exhausting and can cause unneeded anxiety to have too much to do. Recently, I heard someone comment on a to do list vs a to be list. It caught my attention. How much effort do I put into fulfilling my responsibilities, and listening to requested needs and acting on whims. Then I asked myself have I created a To Be List? No, and why not? How can I be my best self, wife, mother, friend, co-worker and overall human if I am not setting aside some time to create a To Be List. There is lots of opportunity for me to improve, however, I don’t need to necessarily make a long list, or put pressure on myself to be perfect. To me, creating a To Be list is acknowledging my own self-worth, my family and everyone I love. Who I am reflects on others and how I interact with them. Taking time to ponder who I want to become is the start of my “Becoming”. We ask children what do you want to do or be when you grow up thinking this is decided by choosing a role like a teacher, doctor, yoga instructor, however, what if we thought about what we want to become and the characteristics we can develop? How would this change you, and your family? What do you want to Be?
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
– Leo Tolstoy



No comments:

Post a Comment