Saturday 2 May 2020

Perspective

When my mother passed away, a family member chose a picture for the program. When I looked at the picture I asked, what did my sister see in this picture? All I could see was my mother’s illness. I saw a weak mother trying to smile with the muscles she had left in her face, and her straggled hair pulled back…exhausted.
Looking at this picture now, I see beyond the frailty. I notice the garden in the background, and her love to be outside among the plants, tending and nourishing her flowers or helping others with the up keep of their garden. I notice in the later days of illness she did what she could to serve. I notice her smile, and the fact she did get up that day, and used whatever energy she had to be with family.
What changed? The picture didn’t change, my perspective changed. I pushed away some hurt, bitterness, pride, and allowed a new perspective to enter my heart. In my experience with the many dynamics of family, I see the choice in perspectives. How we see our spouse, our children, teenagers, and ourselves. How we see the family celebration of who will be there or who won’t be, or why there is no family celebration at all. We make fast judgements and some are right; however, we miss challenging ourselves to see the side of others or the truth all together. In each phase of life, our experiences shape us, and we evolve in our perspective.
My effort is continuously building a perspective of love and hope in others no matter their past choices, current ones or future ones. I have morphed into a better person from challenge, crisis, and trauma whether from my own choices or by the choices of others… (or a combo of the two). Hope, positivity, and love are lenses I choose to invite in my perspective when I see my family, friends, acquaintances, strangers and Myself.
May we invite these types of lenses into our lives to become our best selves. When I re-looked at the picture from the funeral program, it was 3 years later. Sometimes time is needed to heal our perspective. An open heart, and mind to the possibilities of greater contentment in our life is required, for our perspective to heal or perhaps just to see another perspective. When we are ready we can make the course corrections necessary to bring harmony to our souls. Reflection is needed in all types of circumstances to understand ourselves, and what contributes to how we feel.
I fondly remember the quote that has impacted me the most, and now become my favorite,
“May we ever choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.” – Thomas S. Monson
Perspective can set the tone in our life. May we be brave enough to use a kind lens to see our self, and recognize what we can do to improve and be content.




No comments:

Post a Comment